Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Design Presentation

A few weeks ago I was asked to give a presentation on Character Design to the Animation team here at work!
Let me first say that I don't, by any means, consider myself an expert in the field, and approaches/opinions on design vary wildly. So this was , essentially, just my humble outlook on the artform, and is based on my personal design aesthetic (what I like.)  So here are the images I went through during my talk.

If I have some time I hope to give these images some actual context with what I was saying, but I just wanted to post these images us,  hopefully they mostly speak for themselves.


"Personality usually dictates design,  so I consider Silhouette, Shape , Proportion, and Pose."
-Joe Moshier, Dreamworks Character Designer



Art by Shannon Tindle




Art by Daniel Lopez Munoz

More examples of circles vs squares (straights vs curves):

Art by Ricky Nierva

Art by Jay Shuster

A lot of times Nico Marlet works with one broad shape and the details are subservient .
Art by Nico Marlet

Art by Nico Marlet


Art by Carter Goodrich

Art by Joe Moshier

Art by Nico Marlet




Art by Norman Rockwell

Art by Bobby Chiu


Art by Milt Kahl,  Breakdown by Mark Kennedy



Art by Chuck Jones

Art by Nico Marlet

Art by Shane Prigmore

Breakdown by Xavier Ramonede


-----The Way I work.  Well, one of the ways.-----
Subject research

What I want to emphasize

Thumbnail , done tiny tiny

Thumbnail blown-up

Shape Breakdown

Flow Breakdown

Clean Line

Flat Color

Simple Render

And that's all I had!  Feel free to drop me a  line you wanna talk shop if some of this doesn't make sense!
Bobbypontillas (at) Gmail (dot) com

12 comments:

  1. Seriously amazing! Exactly why I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, you're a rockstar. You may want to put your name on all of these cause you know they're gonna fly across the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic presentation! Also thanks for sharing your process.
    Would love to see more of this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks man,.. really great presentation ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only came across your post by pure chance today Bobby! Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, thank you for your class, really good for us, for everybody, thank you, and, i love your art. XD i wish i have one XD :), see you soon, here. :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for your class

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this great information Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! ...For all of your awesomeness and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome! it give me some inspiration. thank you!

    ReplyDelete